Usenet: a wasteland or a frontier?
worm food
2023-02-10 02:37:28 UTC
What is old is new again. Depending on one's perspective, [text-based]
Usenet is either a wasteland or a frontier, like Chernobyl, an abandoned
landfill, or Detroit. We are all mutants now and can handle the radiation.

Sure, you could ask, "why bother? everyone moved to Reddit." So what? If
I cared what the average joe had to say about a topic, I would certainly
go to Reddit. I am, however, interested in mutants.

Let's discuss how to rehabilitate a few corners of this vast expanse for
our own amusement.

More to the point, how does one become a moderator for one of these many
abandoned groups?
Kurt Weiske
2023-02-10 14:35:00 UTC
To: worm food
-=> worm food wrote to alt.2600 <=-

wf> Sure, you could ask, "why bother? everyone moved to Reddit." So what?
wf> If I cared what the average joe had to say about a topic, I would
wf> certainly go to Reddit. I am, however, interested in mutants.

Which is why I still run and read usenet ona BBS. :)

Would love to see someone renovate some of the newsgroups of old, as
there are still BBSes gating usenet to their boards alongside a couple of
surprisingly active Fido-technology networks.

Technical hurdles keep the pinks and the normals out.

kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/***@fidonet

... UNPRISON YOUR THINK RHINO
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- Synchronet 3.19c-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org
worm food
2023-02-10 15:31:48 UTC
While I am aware of the "first rule" applied to most occult technology,
perhaps it should be relaxed slightly to encourage a few new faces? I
believe these systems are sufficiently stodgy to keep most normies away.
I also believe there are other, perhaps younger, potential users who 1)
may qualify as mutants, 2) have never been exposed to these frontiers,
and 3) would really enjoy it.

And it should go without saying that I am referring specifically to
(mostly) text exchange, rather than the "usenet as bittorrent
replacement" category for downloading porn.

Closed systems are always destined for ruin.
To: worm food
OldbieOne
2023-02-10 16:20:41 UTC
Post by Kurt Weiske
To: worm food
-=> worm food wrote to alt.2600 <=-
wf> Sure, you could ask, "why bother? everyone moved to Reddit." So what?
wf> If I cared what the average joe had to say about a topic, I would
wf> certainly go to Reddit. I am, however, interested in mutants.
Which is why I still run and read usenet ona BBS. :)
Would love to see someone renovate some of the newsgroups of old, as
there are still BBSes gating usenet to their boards alongside a couple of
surprisingly active Fido-technology networks.
Technical hurdles keep the pinks and the normals out.
kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
Top posters killed USENET 1.0, fam....

OldbieOne
worm food
2023-02-11 23:07:43 UTC
To: worm food
Post by worm food
Post by Kurt Weiske
surprisingly active Fido-technology networks.
Technical hurdles keep the pinks and the normals out.
kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
Top posters killed USENET 1.0, fam....
--
OldbieOne
Top posters killed USENET 1.0, fam....
I will bottom only for you, my dearheart.

I would like to continue this conversation. In no particular order, I
have amassed several points of discussion from this and other threads I
have started in other groups:

1) “We haven’t abandoned. We’re lurking…..” Yes, I had guess that this
would be the case. My question: what sort of event would qualify as so
goshdarn interesting that it would cause lurkers to materialize and
participate?

2) (Based on multiple conversations in multiple groups) there appears to
be a 50/50 split between those who think we should create new groups and
those who think we should refurbish old ones (my vote is for
"alt.christnet.beanie-babies"). Pros and cons? GO!

3) How CAN we join forces? What might that look like?

4) Do we believe there is still a spark of the "old culture"? Is it
better to create a new, mutant culture?

5) The idea of "finding new ways to make ["old" technology] relevant" is
an interesting one. Particularly in our current moment. For Usenet
specifically, what might that look like?

6) “The decentralization of information is the enemy of corporate
profits and control.” Agreed. But my feeling is that the small pockets
of interesting information (by "interesting" I mean literally anything
that is not "CONTENT" (i.e., driven by capitalism) or "central dogma"
(i.e., driven by social mores)) that exist are SO decentralized that
almost no one who could possibly have an interest can find them. How
does one strike a balance here?

7) “expanding OS functionality” This is a whole other conversation that
we should have. Not in this thread, though. In a different one.

And before you ask whether I am some kind of grad student or other
classification with a clearly ulterior motive, I am not (although one
can never prove a negative). My motive is that, I woke up one day and
said to myself "fuck this shit" and decided to dedicate some time and
effort to discussing these topics with like-minded individuals with
intent to actually do something. What is that something? That is the
point of the conversation.
OldbieOne
2023-02-12 21:02:25 UTC
"worm food" <***@compostpunk.com> wrote in message news:ts9740$1he32$***@dont-email.me...

<snip>
Post by worm food
Post by OldbieOne
Top posters killed USENET 1.0, fam....
I will bottom only for you, my dearheart.
Would you believe it's not the first time I've heard that? It's usually from people's moms though.
Post by worm food
I would like to continue this conversation. In no particular order, I
have amassed several points of discussion from this and other threads I
Okay. GO!
Post by worm food
1) "We haven't abandoned. We're lurking..." Yes, I had guess that this
would be the case. My question: what sort of event would qualify as so
goshdarn interesting that it would cause lurkers to materialize and
participate?
Great question. I don't actually know that there's a single answer to this question.
USENET wasn't killed by social media, as is the usual commentary seen on YouTube, it was killed before the rise of
social media. I'd even argue that the rise of social media was because of the death of USENET.

ISP's used to offer USENET access as part of their internet services, but came under increasing pressure by both
corporate interests, who were more interested in shutting down file sharing, and then western governments, who leaned on
providers out of an interest in national security in a post-9/11 world.

One thing that seems to be causing a mini-resurgance in USENET usage right now, is the state of late-stage social media.
FarceB0rk and ***@tter are in shambles, Tumblr is practically dead already as a result of their content bans, and TikTok
is facing being legislated out of existence in the western marketplace. Somehow, USENET lives on, even though it's a
mere shell of its former self. I think the impending failure of social media will mean that we'll see further increasing
usage of USENET.

One major stumbling point will be ease of access. It's no longer a service provided at the internet access provider
level, as you know, and most of the services are based in the EU or outside of the United States, where the highest
number of users used to be located. Other impediments to exponential growth are that it's costs money for USENET access,
and that clients also have a cost associated with them, and that people in general largely haven't heard of USENET
outside of those of us old enough to remember it, so unless USENET became freely available, binary groups and all, I
don't see it ever regaining the levels of popularity that it once had.

Of course, if those challenges were addressed, and slick mobile apps were created, tied to cloud file storage, I don't
see why it couldn't. At the end of the day, no one will spend the money to do that if there's no money to be made from
it, so I don't ever see that happening.
Post by worm food
2) (Based on multiple conversations in multiple groups) there appears to
be a 50/50 split between those who think we should create new groups and
those who think we should refurbish old ones (my vote is for
"alt.christnet.beanie-babies"). Pros and cons? GO!
Personally, I'm on the fence. If there's a resurgence of Beanie Baby collectors, then I feel they should use the old
groups for that. For newer technologies, I think the creation of new groups makes sense. For example, have you seen the
traffic in alt.comp.os.windows-11?

Pros of reusing old groups: They already exist if what you want to post is under the topic of the group

Cons: I can't think of any, as long as what you want to post is under the topic of the group.

Pros of creating new groups: New groups would better fit newer topics and technologies that do not currently exist on
USENET.

Cons: I can't think of any.
Post by worm food
3) How CAN we join forces? What might that look like?
It depends. The darkside has always offered cookies. Do you like cookies? If you do, come to the darkside, my friend!
Post by worm food
4) Do we believe there is still a spark of the "old culture"? Is it
better to create a new, mutant culture?
I think right now the majority of users are here as keepers of the old USENET culture, to a large degree. But as new
people come in, that culture will mutate organically. I don't think one creates a culture, but a culture creates itself.
If USENET is still here in another 10 yrs, I think it will be completely different than it is now.
Post by worm food
5) The idea of "finding new ways to make ["old" technology] relevant" is
an interesting one. Particularly in our current moment. For Usenet
specifically, what might that look like?
It looks like this. We're having this discussion right here, using an old technology that pre-dates the world wide web
and social media platforms, by decades.
Post by worm food
6) "The decentralization of information is the enemy of corporate
profits and control." Agreed. But my feeling is that the small pockets
of interesting information (by "interesting" I mean literally anything
that is not "CONTENT"
Content does not have to be driven by capitalism, or any other political thought or doctrine. The free flow of
information without capital or government regulation allows for true community content.
Think of each newsgroup as it's own community, and the data within as "content".
Post by worm food
(i.e., driven by capitalism) or "central dogma"
(i.e., driven by social mores)) that exist are SO decentralized that
almost no one who could possibly have an interest can find them. How
does one strike a balance here?
Now that IS a good question, but I feel that's something that would be better answered by a sociologis than an
old-school g33k ;)
Post by worm food
7) "expanding OS functionality" This is a whole other conversation that
we should have. Not in this thread, though. In a different one.
I'm all ears.
Post by worm food
And before you ask whether I am some kind of grad student or other
classification with a clearly ulterior motive, I am not (although one
Why would anyone care?
Post by worm food
can never prove a negative). My motive is that, I woke up one day and
said to myself "fuck this shit" and decided to dedicate some time and
effort to discussing these topics with like-minded individuals with
intent to actually do something. What is that something? That is the
point of the conversation.
To a large degree, the existence of USENET itself in 2023 is a testament to "fuck this shit" ;)

--
OldbieOne
The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by a custom build of Windows v4.0.950B-23
worm food
2023-02-12 21:27:36 UTC
Post by OldbieOne
<snip>
Post by worm food
can never prove a negative). My motive is that, I woke up one day and
said to myself "fuck this shit" and decided to dedicate some time and
effort to discussing these topics with like-minded individuals with
intent to actually do something. What is that something? That is the
point of the conversation.
To a large degree, the existence of USENET itself in 2023 is a testament to "fuck this shit" ;)
--
OldbieOne
The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by a custom build of Windows v4.0.950B-23
Now that IS a good question, but I feel that's something that would
be better answered by a sociologis than an
Post by OldbieOne
old-school g33k ;)
Why? I am specifically not seeking the [exclusive] opinion of a
credentialed-opinion holder. Your opinion is just as valid, if not moreso.
Post by OldbieOne
Why would anyone care [that you are or are not a grad student]?
The question has come up. My assumption is that people are (rightly)
uptight about being "interviewed" for publication or some other purpose
for which they did not provide explicit consent. It's probably obvious
that I was a /former/ grad student, however.

A former grad student, but nobody's mom.

Leave me a few crumbs to this dark side. I bowed out when I was 16, but
I have recently become terminally bored.
OldbieOne
2023-02-13 14:10:59 UTC
<snip>
Post by worm food
Post by OldbieOne
Now that IS a good question, but I feel that's something that would
be better answered by a sociologist than an
Post by OldbieOne
Why would anyone care [that you are or are not a grad student]?
The question has come up. My assumption is that people are (rightly)
uptight about being "interviewed" for publication or some other purpose
for which they did not provide explicit consent. It's probably obvious
that I was a /former/ grad student, however.
Nope. Not in the least, actually.
Post by worm food
A former grad student, but nobody's mom.
My dude, literally no one cares if you even went to school. If you're looking for somewhere you can brag about the
supposed level of "edumakashun" you received, try a more suitable group, like nntp://alt.academic.dickwaving.chodes
Post by worm food
Leave me a few crumbs to this dark side. I bowed out when I was 16, but
I have recently become terminally bored.
There's plenty of bread, so lots of crumbs in my response. All you have to do, is eat it.

Laterz!

worm food
2023-02-13 18:26:41 UTC
Post by OldbieOne
<snip>
Post by worm food
Leave me a few crumbs to this dark side. I bowed out when I was 16, but
I have recently become terminally bored.
There's plenty of bread, so lots of crumbs in my response. All you have to do, is eat it.
Laterz!
--
OldbieOne
The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by a custom build of Windows v4.0.950B-23
Thank you for the PSA re: the intricacies of two-way communication. You
have given me an excellent idea. ~~see you soon.
OldbieOne
2023-02-13 20:56:28 UTC
Post by worm food
Post by OldbieOne
<snip>
Thank you for the PSA re: the intricacies of two-way communication. You
have given me an excellent idea.
That would be the first one you've had
Post by worm food
~~see you soon
I answered your specific questions in good faith, but you clearly wanted to bait and troll.

It's academic, Dear Watson
worm food
2023-02-14 16:56:00 UTC
Post by OldbieOne
Post by worm food
<snip>
Post by worm food
~~see you soon
I answered your specific questions in good faith, but you clearly wanted to bait and troll.
It's academic, Dear Watson
Have a little faith. Not everyone is an asshole, you know?

OldbieOne
2023-02-10 16:33:48 UTC
Post by Kurt Weiske
To: worm food
-=> worm food wrote to alt.2600 <=-
wf> Sure, you could ask, "why bother? everyone moved to Reddit." So what?
wf> If I cared what the average joe had to say about a topic, I would
wf> certainly go to Reddit. I am, however, interested in mutants.
Which is why I still run and read usenet ona BBS. :)
Would love to see someone renovate some of the newsgroups of old, as
there are still BBSes gating usenet to their boards alongside a couple of
surprisingly active Fido-technology networks.
Technical hurdles keep the pinks and the normals out.
Keep up the good work of "Bob" my friend!

OldbieOne
OldbieOne
OldbieOne
rek2 hispagatos
2023-02-10 22:10:37 UTC
Hello, I was a old user of USENET/IRC in the 90's late 90's until google
and the rest fucked it up for us, long story here but eventually I came
back a couple years a go, not only to usenet, I have focus on using only
terminal apps on GNU/Linux, started to use gopher and new technologies
that have the same spirit but with a modern (security, privacy) touch
like Matrix, Gemini, the idea is to run away from corporate lan, and
into community, decentralized lan, if is with e2ee(matrix) or TLS by
default(gemini) better but nonetheless run away from electron/web I am
tired to boot up linux to notice that 90% of the apps are run with web
technologies(javascript etc) and that the OS is becoming like a
enviroment nobody uses, so started to go back to using compiled terminal
software, running slrn for usenet, gomuks for matrix, tut for mastodon,
shellscast for podcasts, photon-rss for rss feeds and so on.. since that
my experience is so much richer and my computers love me for it. :)
I think usenet is having a small "comeback" of people that resambles my
experience.

How do we move forward? I think we should forget the old usenet groups
that are no used, for example why bother resurect a old tech group like
pascal I think the move will be to add a rust/go group the C group is
one of the most active here I am subscribe to it and is amazing, also
gemini got added last year, and is fairly active, this group is getting
more active now that people like me is fed up of the centralized web.

The new people that took over usenet 10 years a go over the old and lack
of updates and organization guard have done a tremendeous job at
promoting, deleted old and adding new information, heck I saw them on
HOPE 2020, and at Libre Planet, so maybe we can all think in how to join
forces, I try to post on mastodon as much as I can about usenet and how
to connect to it, people in our collective wrote a small tutorial in
Spanish to help new people join...

let talk and work on it

ReK2
Happy Hacking
abandoned groups?
OldbieOne
2023-02-11 01:35:24 UTC
Post by rek2 hispagatos
Hello, I was a old user of USENET/IRC in the 90's late 90's until google
and the rest fucked it up for us, long story here but eventually I came
back a couple years a go, not only to usenet, I have focus on using only
terminal apps on GNU/Linux, started to use gopher and new technologies
that have the same spirit but with a modern (security, privacy) touch
I, too, came up in that era (some of my old flames are still on older archs of the groups, sad to say, but we all grow
up over the years). For me, a large driver of coming back to see what USENET was doing was the spirit of not being
locked in to whatever our Corporate Internet Overlords wants us to be locked into - like FarceB0rk and ***@tter for
example - and the slew of other MegaCONglomorate-produced applications and technologies. So a large part of it was
wanting to see if there was a spark left of the old cyberpunk culture, and the rest was pretty much seeing if there's
life left in old technologies, and if so, working on finding new ways to make them relevant.
Post by rek2 hispagatos
like Matrix, Gemini, the idea is to run away from corporate lan, and
into community, decentralized lan, if is with e2ee(matrix) or TLS by
default(gemini) better but nonetheless run away from electron/web I am
tired to boot up linux to notice that 90% of the apps are run with web
technologies(javascript etc) and that the OS is becoming like a
enviroment nobody uses,
This has been a long time coming. Outside of the Apple space (I'm also active in the Hackinto$h community), no one else
seems to be working on expanding OS functionality, and even there, we've recently seen steps to reduce basic OS
functionality, with Apple removing telnet, for example. I think in the not-so-distant future. OS releases as we know
them will be a thing of the past and there'll be a standardized ROM that handles the loading of cloud-based
containerized apps built in to new hardware. Then users who use those products will be unable to use their apps without
subscriptions to them, and the normies will become dumber and the rich will become richer.
Post by rek2 hispagatos
so started to go back to using compiled terminal
software, running slrn for usenet, gomuks for matrix, tut for mastodon,
shellscast for podcasts, photon-rss for rss feeds and so on.. since that
my experience is so much richer and my computers love me for it. :)
I think usenet is having a small "comeback" of people that resambles my
experience.
It does seem to be making a small, but noticeable resurgeance for sure. I don't think that's a bad thing, even if most
of it does seem to be as a torrent "replacement".
Post by rek2 hispagatos
How do we move forward? I think we should forget the old usenet groups
that are no used, for example why bother resurect a old tech group like
pascal I think the move will be to add a rust/go group the C group is
one of the most active here I am subscribe to it and is amazing, also
gemini got added last year, and is fairly active, this group is getting
more active now that people like me is fed up of the centralized web.
The modern web is garbage. They talk about Web 3.0 and web decentralization, but you only have to look around the web to
see that while decentralization of fabric and infrastructure is in corporations best interests, the decentralization of
information will always be an uphill battle because the decentralization of information is the enemy of corporate
profits and control.

HackThePlanet my friend ;)